Painting the Warpwolf Stalker - Blogs - CoolMiniOrNot Forums
View RSS Feed


Painting the Warpwolf Stalker

Rate this Entry


I realized that painting is way harder than I expected (blogging in English too) and that I can't aim for perfect blending so soon in my "hobbyist" career. I fully completed maybe 2 models since I started painting almost a year ago. When I painted my first model, I stripped it down 3 times with simple green before I was happy with the way it looked. I have to let go my perfectionism and learn that perfection is only achievable by repetition. I also prefer playing with painted models and I've got way too many models in my backlog to pass a month on a single one...

Preparation and priming
I'm not good at spotting mold lines and I'm not too good scrapping them off neither. It generally ends up a bit messy, especially when they pass through fur or any other textured surface. I have to be more gentle when I use my hobby knife to remove them to make sure I do not scratch the surface.

For this model, I went with a white primer. I prefer gray, except I did not have any at home so no other choice but to go white. I used
Krylon color master primer. It's way cheaper than hobby primers but, I can't compare with any other since it's the only one I have ever used.

After the priming, it left a bit of a grainy texture. It never happened with my previous gray primer. It was not catastrophic and when I tried painting over it, it did not show through. I was relieved not to have to strip it down.

Color scheme
Since I have no real artistic talent and no clue how to work with a color wheel, I got the Forces of HORDES: Circle Orboros book to help me with the color range. Sadly, for the stalker, I wanted to follow the studio colors using a light gray for the skin color but in the book, they only show you how to paint the Satyr brown skin. Too bad for me... I will have to mix and match on my own.

Painting the skin
* Basecoat: **Greatcoat Grey (P3)**
* First highlight: **Ironhull gray (P3)**
* Second highlight: **Administratum Grey (GW)**
* Shading: **Basecoat + Thamar Black (P3)**
* Shading 2: **Agrax Earthshade (GW)**

For this part, I tried the two brush blending technique. I saw a good video on youtube and it seemed like a sweet technique to get some smooth transitions rapidly.

The shading went well, it was way faster than juicing (or glazing) and less messy than using some wash. You can see the result in the middle of the back in the pictures. Using almost pot consistency paint is the key. Too thin and it pools, not thin enough and it gets messy.

It got complicated when I tried it with the Administratum grey. It was chalky, messy and seriously ugly. Maybe I over thinned the paint but I had no pooling. Even straight out of the pot consistency was chalky. I looked online for some help and found out that I may be using a too bright color to try to blend into the basecoat. I did not use the Ironhull Grey because the paint is acting weird in the pot. There are some "black lines" in it that I can't get rid off. When I put it on my palette, there is a separation that occurs really fast between the black and gray pigments. It's annoying. Maybe a bad batch, I have no clue... I finally mixed some of the basecoat with the Administratum and still no luck, the result was still chalky and not eye pleasing at all.

I gave up and used some wet blending for his back. On large surfaces, it's my new go-to technique. It's not too hard to pull off and it gives good results. It uses more paint than layering, but it's twice faster.

With trials and errors, base coating 4 times to start again from the basecoat, it took me between 4-5 hours to paint the back.

I tried again two-brush blending to no avail. I can't for the life of me get the highlights to look great. I did some wet blending and layering. The end result is not that great. I wanted more contrast. I tried some coal black in the deepest recesses, but it turned out too blue. I finally used pure black wet blended into some greatcoat gray. The contrast is subtle and is not too good on the left leg but, it's hidden by the model sword. I'm fairly happy with the end result on the right leg.

3-4 hours for the legs, back and front.

Torso, arms and head
Mainly wet blending with some layering. I'm still learning how to layer with thin paints. I watched the excellent Jeremie Bonamant DVD and his technique is flawless. I learned a lot from watching him, but it's not as easy as he makes it look.

I took less time doing those parts. Maybe 2-3 hours. Not that I got better but, got bored painting gray and wanted to move on to the armor and leather parts.

Some Agrax Earthshade wash and quick dry brush. It's not a smooth blend, but it gave me quick results. I wanted to move to the leather parts quickly.

11-12 hours of work and I still have some touch up here and there to do. I have to work on the tail and also on the shadows of the back of both arms. I'm happy with what I've done so far. After the skin, I painted the armor parts. Painting on some green made the model less dull and made my grey looked better. You can also notice that I did the leather base coat. That's my next step, but that's for another post.

Submit "Painting the Warpwolf Stalker" to Digg Submit "Painting the Warpwolf Stalker" to Submit "Painting the Warpwolf Stalker" to StumbleUpon Submit "Painting the Warpwolf Stalker" to Google Submit "Painting the Warpwolf Stalker" to Facebook


Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion

Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.